Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas Patrick Whittle Shameka Dudley-Lowe
Weekend family fun on Long Island: Monster Jam, Bari Koral, ice cream, nature crafts and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From Monster Jam and a Bari Koral performance to ice cream, nature crafts and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Monster Jam at Nassau Coliseum (1255 Hempstead Tpke., Uniondale). Big trucks take over the Coliseum on Friday at 7:30 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m. Prices: $30, $45, $75 plus a parking fee.
2. Cool Science: The Science of Ice Cream at Maritime Explorium (101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson). Explore the physics of ice cream while creating a batch of your own to eat on Saturday and Sunday from 1-5 p.m. Price: $5
3. Kids Night Out! Fly Me to the Moon at the Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary & Audubon Center (134 Cove Rd., Oyster Bay). Children ages 8 and older will learn about the moon through games, activities, crafts, stories and more on Saturday from 6-9 p.m. There will also be a full-moon hike and marshmallow roasting; must register. Price: $30 per child, $15 each additional sibling.
4. Fun for Kids: Mosiac Masterpieces at Caleb Smith State Park Preserve (Jericho Turnpike, Smithtown). On Sunday from 1:30-3 p.m., kids ages 5 and up can create a nature picture using beautiful colored paper mosaics; must register. Price: $4, $3 children 3 and up, children younger than 3 are free.
5. Bari Koral: A Family Concert at Landmark on Main Street (232 Main St., Port Washington). Kids and adults alike enjoy Bari Koral's catchy, family-friendly tunes and interactive shows. On Sunday at 2 p.m., she'll perform songs from "Rock and Roll Garden" as well as her latest album, "Anna and the Cupcakes." Price: $20; concert tickets also include an after-party held at The Dolphin Bookshop that includes a meet-and-greet with Bari.