3 cars destroyed in fire at Hempstead Meineke
Firefighters quickly put out a blaze Tuesday at a Meineke Car Care Center in Hempstead after gasoline was spilled and "accidentally ignited" while work was being done on a car, a fire official said.
No one was injured in the South Franklin Street fire that was called in at 2:17 p.m. and took around 30 minutes to put out, said James Hickman, division supervisor of investigations at the Nassau County fire marshal's office.
Three cars were destroyed and a fourth was "somewhat damaged," but "the building should be OK," he said.
Firefighters from Hempstead, Baldwin, Rockville Centre and Uniondale responded to the blaze, he said.