3 exposed to carbon monoxide at restaurant

Bruce's is a popular bakery and also serves Bruce's is a popular bakery and also serves meals in its restaurant at 34 Middle Neck Rd. in Great Neck. Photo Credit: Nina Ruggiero

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Three people were taken by ambulance from a Great Neck restaurant and bakery to hospitals to be treated for carbon monoxide exposure Thursday, and nine others were treated at the scene, a fire department chief said.

After treatment, none of those exposed were believed to be in life-threatening condition, police said.

A 20-year-old workman at Bruce's Restaurant and Bakery, 34 Middle Neck Rd., was first reported to be having seizures about 1 p.m., according to Laurence Jacobs, chief of the Great Neck Vigilant Fire company. The first fire department responders recorded unusually high levels of carbon monoxide gas in the building.

The bakery and restaurant were evacuated, Jacobs said, and the semiconscious 20-year-old was taken by ambulance to be treated at Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow. Two others in the building were transported by ambulance to North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset. Others were treated at the scene using oxygen therapy, Jacobs said.

This was the second large carbon monoxide incident in the area this month.

Thirty-nine midshipmen at the United States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Park were treated at hospitals for carbon monoxide exposure Jan. 8. The cause of the exposure was traced to a faulty hot water system that serviced the barracks.

Bruce's restaurant and bakery was closed Thursday after the incident, Jacobs said, and a plumber was on site to try to determine the source of the gas. Management of the restaurant and bakery could not be reached Thursday night to comment.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!


Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: