Brooklyn man convicted of Woodbury murder

A Brooklyn man convicted of killing a reputed con artist four years ago in Woodbury was sentenced Tuesday in Nassau to 15 years in prison.

Andre Dickenson was found guilty of second-degree murder, four counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and tampering with physical evidence during a bench trial last year by Judge Meryl Berkowitz.

Dickenson was one of three men arrested in 2011 over the slayings of Ansu Keita, 32, shot to death in a Woodbury condo on March 26, 2009, and Sekou Sackor, 31, believed to have been killed while being driven to a dumping ground in Brooklyn.


PHOTOS: Mug shots | Notorious crimes | DATA: LI crime rates
MAPS: Reported crimes near you | Registered sex offenders


His attorney, Bruce Barket of Garden City, said he was found guilty in the death of Sackor but said he plans to appeal the verdict.

"We don't think he committed the murder," Barket said.

At the time of Dickenson's arraignment in 2011, Nassau District Attorney Kathleen Rice said Sackor and Keita, who shared a Bronx apartment, were attempting to run a financial scam against the three defendants when the murders occurred.

In December 2011, Dickenson was in custody awaiting trial in the homicides when he was accused by the NYPD and Queens district attorney's office of being a ringleader of a car theft scam that bilked high-end car dealerships and banks in New York City. The ring used straw buyers to purchase more than 50 luxury cars, such as BMWs, Porsches and Mercedes-Benzes, between July 2008 and March 2010, then defaulted on the car loans, authorities said.

In that case, he pleaded guilty in July to third-degree attempted criminal possession of stolen property and is scheduled to appear in Queens Supreme Court Wednesday for sentencing.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Follow Newsday on social media

advertisement | advertise on newsday