Business council to advise Nassau on Coliseum plans
Related mediaIsles announce Barclays move Nassau Hub project Walt Handelsman on the Nassau Coliseum Isles Files The ups and downs of Charles Wang Coliseum referendum vote
The four developers competing to reconfigure and operate the Nassau Coliseum will present their plans next week to a group of county business advisers who will play an influential role in selecting the winning bidder.
The 17-member Business Advisory Council, a group formed by Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano three years ago to promote local investment, will hold a public meeting on May 2 in Mineola to hear presentations from the Coliseum respondents.
"The meeting will provide business advisers and the media an opportunity to preview the four plans submitted to transform the Coliseum into an exciting new family, sports and entertainment venue for Nassau County," Mangano said in a statement.
The council, composed of private-sector business executives, will give Mangano input on the plans after reviewing the presentations, county spokesman Brian Nevin said.
Mangano released a request for proposals last month to transform the 16,000-seat Coliseum into a downsized 8,000-12,000 seat arena capable of hosting concerts, family shows and minor league sports.
The bidders include Bruce Ratner, who built the Barclays Center in Brooklyn where the New York Islanders will play beginning in 2015; the Madison Square Garden Company, which owns the Garden, the Knicks and the Rangers; Syosset developer Ed Blumenfeld, and Bayville developer Bernard Shereck, chief executive of New York Sports & Entertainment.
Mangano is expected to make a decision on the proposals before mid-July.