Cops: 19 treated at hospital after CO exposure at market

A gas leak at a Best Yet Market in Franklin Square sent 19 people to the hospital Friday morning. Franklin Square Fire Department detected elevated levels of carbon monoxide inside the store, police said. Nassau University Medical Center treated the patients, who had complained of headaches, dizziness and nausea. Videojournalist: Jim Staubitser (May 31, 2013)

Travel deals

Nineteen people were taken to Nassau University Medical Center on Friday after authorities found elevated levels of carbon monoxide inside a Franklin Square market, Nassau County police said.

Fourth Precinct officers and fire officials responded to the Best Yet Market at 696 Dogwood Ave. at about 10:45 a.m. because of a foul odor inside the building, police said.

Police found several people -- both employees and customers -- complaining of headaches, dizziness and nausea, according to a news release.

Franklin Square Fire Department detected elevated levels of carbon monoxide inside the store, police said.

Andrew Schmitt, a supervisor with the Nassau County Fire Marshal's Office, said the incident is still under investigation and the cause of the carbon monoxide had yet to be determined.

The store was evacuated, and 19 people were taken to the East Meadow medical facility with carbon monoxide poisoning, hospital spokeswoman Shelley Lotenberg said. Five were treated in a hyperbaric chamber, she said.

Twelve people were treated at the scene, police said, as several other fire departments also responded.

Nassau police said its HazMat Unit and National Grid also responded. A National Grid spokeswoman said the leak was not natural gas, as initially reported to police.

Calls to the Best Yet main office in Bethpage were not immediately returned.

A person who answered the phone at the Franklin Square store Friday afternoon said the store had been reopened and "things were back to normal."

advertisement | advertise on newsday

advertisement | advertise on newsday