Cops: Gas burners ignite, Bayville woman hurt

advertisement | advertise on newsday

A 62-year-old Bayville woman suffered second-degree burns to her face Saturday afternoon when her home's gas burners suddenly ignited -- possibly because of a gas leak caused by superstorm Sandy, Nassau County police said.

The woman told authorities she tried to turn off the burners in her Wilson Avenue home at 12:20 p.m., police said, but flames quickly spread to her face, head and jacket.

The victim's husband, 62, quickly put out the fire by smothering the flames on her body, police said.

Police said there appeared to be a leak in the flex line from the gas connection in the back of the stove. There was also evidence of candles being used on the kitchen counter near the stove.

The couple, who had evacuated the home after the storm because of the gas leak, had returned Saturday to pick up their belongings, police said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The fire caused moderate damage to the inside of the home, police said.

A police helicopter airlifted the woman to a hospital for treatment. Her name was not released, and no update on her condition was available. Her husband was not hurt.

Detectives from the arson/bomb squad have deemed the fire accidental.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

Comments now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: