Cops: Third arrest made in New Cassel attack

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Nassau County police arrested a third suspect Monday wanted in connection with a New Cassel assault earlier this month that sent one man to the hospital with machete wounds.

Douglas Santamaria, 17, of 209 Hopper St. in New Cassel was arrested while entering his apartment building, police said in a news release.

Police sought Santamaria because they believe he participated in an assault with a baseball bat, machete and knife against two men on Dec. 1.

Santamaria was charged with first-degree and second-degree assault and first-degree gang assault. He will be arraigned Wednesday in First District Court in Hempstead.

Two other suspects, Jose Hernandez, 17 and Jose Clavel, 19, both from New Cassel, were arrested within days of the attack and were charged with the same crimes.

Police said the trio attacked two men, ages 21 and 22, in the yard of a house on Roman Avenue, the same street where Hernandez lives, in predawn hours after a verbal altercation. Police said the suspects attacked one man with a machete, causing severe wounds to his hand, arm and back that required surgery. The other victim was knocked to the ground with a baseball bat, but was not hospitalized, police said.

You also may be interested in: