Police and fire crews rescued an elderly man and his dog from a burning house in Plainview early Sunday morning.
Al Bassetta, second- assistant chief of the Plainview Fire Department, said a resident on Winthrop Road called 911 around 2:30 a.m. to report wires burning in a neighbor's backyard.
Nassau County police were the first to arrive at the scene, Bassetta said, and police rescued a man who had been asleep in a second-floor bedroom.
Meanwhile, as crews began tackling the flames that had started to consume the home's basement and kitchen, firefighters rescued the owner's dog.
The animal was found behind a television set in the burning house, and firefighters revived it by giving it oxygen, using a special mask molded to fit animals, before taking the pet to a veterinarian.
No one was injured, and the fire took about 45 minutes to control, Bassetta said.
There was no official word on the cause of the fire, he said.
You also may be interested in:
More coverageDems ask SEC to probe whether town broke law LI hospitals to share $17.2M in funding
Two Nassau County hospitals will share a portion of $17.2 million in funding for theCops: Overdose victim saved by medical crew
A Nassau County police ambulance AMT crew saved the life of a 27-year-old overdose victim