A former Freeport High School student with dreams of becoming an actress and model has filed a civil suit in excess of $3 million against the school district and others, alleging the school did not protect her from another student who slashed and stabbed her at school last year.
Jazmin Drain, 18, who says she was injured on May 21, 2013, claims that Freeport Union Free School District officials failed to prevent the attack and did not notify authorities about her injuries, according to court papers filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Central Islip.
The suit also alleges the district failed to act when told of earlier threats against Drain by the alleged attacker and others, and did not provide proper supervision or a safe environment.
In a statement issued by its public relations firm, Syntax, Freeport schools officials said the district "has not been served with the lawsuit and will take appropriate action to defend the interests of the district.
"The District takes the health and welfare of our students seriously and always makes the safety of students and staff a top priority."
Hempstead-based attorney Frederick K. Brewington, who represents Drain, said her attack has been "a hurdle for which she has to overcome," and that "it certainly hasn't enhanced her career."
In addition to the district, defendants named in the suit include the alleged attacker, the alleged assailant's parents, Freeport High School Assistant Principal Joseph Mille and Peggy Beckett, a school safety officer.
The suit alleges that Drain was exiting the school through the lobby when she was stabbed and slashed on the face by the fellow student.
Until that point, Drain had been employed as a model in pursuit of becoming an actress, the suit says. Drain also alleges she had been harassed by students dating back to 2011.
After the stabbing, the suit alleges, Drain's mother, Yvonne, also a plaintiff, and not school officials, contacted police.