Generator sickens family; mom charged

Judith Edouard-Neus used a generator inside her home Judith Edouard-Neus used a generator inside her home and was arrested. Photo Credit: NCPD Handout

advertisement | advertise on newsday

A New Cassel woman has been arraigned on reckless endangerment and related charges after she allegedly operated a generator inside her house, poisoning her family with toxic fumes, Nassau police said.

Judith Edouard-Neus, 45, brought the generator into her Park Avenue home and started it before leaving for work early Friday morning, police said.

When she returned about nine hours later, about 2 p.m., her four children, aged 1, 3, 5 and 7, were nauseated, dizzy and vomiting, police said. One of two women in the home, aged 76 and 77, was unconscious, police said.

The victims were taken to hospitals, but police did not know their conditions last evening.

Edouard-Neus was arrested and charged with second-degree reckless endangerment and four counts of endangering the welfare of a child. She was arraigned Saturday at First District Court in Hempstead.

In the wake of superstorm Sandy, elected officials have repeatedly warned residents about the dangers of running generators indoors, including the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

"Using a generator indoors can kill you in minutes," Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano said in a statement Friday, listing generator safety tips. "Exhaust contains carbon monoxide, a deadly poison gas you cannot see or smell."

Gasoline-fueled backup generators should be run only outdoors, and away from windows and vents, according to safety tips provided by the Long Island Power Authority.

With Laura Figueroa

You also may be interested in: