Gioeli's sentencing put off due to newly-discovered evidence

In this June, 4, 2008 photo, reputed acting In this June, 4, 2008 photo, reputed acting boss of the Colombo crime family Thomas "Tommy Shots" Gioeli is led by FBI agents from Federal Plaza for arraignment in Manhattan. Photo Credit: AP

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The sentencing of alleged one-time Colombo family boss Thomas "Tommy Shots" Gioeli of Farmingdale on racketeering charges was postponed Tuesday because of newly discovered evidence.

Gioeli, 60, was convicted of racketeering last May, and faces up to 20 years in prison. Brooklyn U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan said prosecutors revealed the new evidence in a sealed filing with him last week.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The judge said the new evidence could not yet be revealed publicly or to Gioeli's defense team because it could jeopardize ongoing investigations and might threaten the safety of witnesses. But he ordered prosecutors to reveal it within 30 days.

While acquitting Gioeli on the three separately charged murders, the jury found that as part of the racketeering conspiracy he was involved in three other murder plots, including the 1992 Massapequa killing of John Minerva during an internal Colombo family war. That conviction was based in large part on testimony from other mobsters who had become informants. Defense lawyers said they hope the new evidence raises questions about the credibility of some of those witnesses that might provide grounds for an appeal or a new trial.

Cogan set Gioeli's sentencing for July 19.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: