Glen Cove students, staff feel ill after smelling fumes
Related mediaSchools under 'financial stress' LI's top-paid school administrators Long Island school event photos Schools across Long Island Security measures in place at LI schools LI's 2013 Intel finalists and semifinalists
More than three dozen students and several adults at a Glen Cove elementary school reported feeling sick after smelling fumes following boiler repairs Monday morning, school officials said.
City emergency medical services were called to the Connolly Elementary School shortly after 10:30 a.m., and they, along with the school nurse, checked out the 37 students and 11 staff members, officials said.
No one had to be taken to the hospital, and the school did not have to be evacuated, said Deirdre Gilligan, a spokeswoman for the district.
SEARCH: School election results | State ratings
DATA: LI homeless students | School demographics
PHOTOS: LI schools | School events | BLOG: School Notebook
MORE: News alerts, newsletters | Twitter | Facebook
"Students and staff who complained of nausea and other symptoms were treated at the site," Gilligan said.
She said the fumes appeared to stem from residual oil burning as the boiler restarted at the school, which has 335 students and 70 staff members.
Firefighters were also called and the building was tested for carbon monoxide, Maria Rianna, superintendent for Glen Cove schools, wrote in message posted on the district website: "I am pleased to report that all readings were zero."
Rianna said the boilers were quickly repaired, but "as a result there was a residual odor. Windows and doors were opened. At about 10:30 a.m., several students went to the nurse to report that they felt ill."
Classes continued as students and the building were checked out, Gilligan said, and there was no early dismissal.