Cops: 3 arrested in Freeport after gun tossed from window of fleeing U-Haul

U-Haul suspects

Tyrone Hollingsworth, left, 28, of Uniondale, Shea Rainey, center, 29, of Freeport, Derrick Watson, 45, of Hempstead, were arrested Friday, Aug. 29, 2014 after fleeing the scene where shots were fired in Freeport. Photo Credit: NCPD

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Two men and one woman were arrested early Friday after fleeing a shooting scene in Freeport in a U-Haul truck and tossing a handgun out the window during a police pursuit, police said.

The incident began at about 1 a.m., when a 55-year-old female resident called 911 to report hearing gunshots outside her home on Pine Street.

Freeport police officers responded and put out a bulletin, a description of a white U-Haul truck being given to Nassau County police and its Criminal Intelligence Rapid Response Team officers.

Those officers soon located the truck traveling south on Nassau Road -- and attempted a traffic stop, Nassau County police said.

The driver, a woman, did not stop, police said, instead leading cops on a pursuit. During that chase, police said officers observed one of the three occupants tossing a dark-color handgun out the window. That gun was recovered on East Clinton Avenue, police said. Two shell casings were recovered from the street in front of the home on Pine.

Police said that after forcing the U-Haul to stop on Berkley Place, the trio ran, but were tracked down and arrested.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

All three suspects -- Derrick Watson, 45, of 45 Front St., Hempstead; Tyrone Hollingsworth, 28, of 68 Cunningham Ave., Uniondale; and, Shea Rainey, 29, of 234 Eseaman Ave., Freeport -- were charged with criminal possession of a firearm.

Rainey was additionally charged with second-degree burglary and reckless endangerment, while Hollingsworth was charged with second-degree burglary, fourth-degree grand larceny and resisting arrest.

All three were arraigned Friday in First District Court in Hempstead. Bail was set at $30,000 for Rainey, $70,000 for Hollingsworth and $15,000 for Watson. They were all represented by Legal Aid, which has a policy of not commenting on cases.

Police said that an investigation determined Hollingsworth and Rainey had committed an Aug. 24 burglary at the Pine Street home where the shots were fired. During that burglary, a cellphone was stolen.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

Comments now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: