Hundreds evacuated in Hempstead fire

Firefighters battle a blaze in the Fulton Manor

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Firefighters battle a blaze in the Fulton Manor apartment building in Hempstead. Officials say the blaze was sparked after a stove malfunctioned. Videojournalist: Paul Mazza (June 17, 2012)

Hundreds of frightened residents were evacuated Sunday night -- some pulled out of windows when smoke filled their apartments -- as flames leaped up three floors of a large Hempstead Village building.

Witnesses recalled seeing residents of Fulton Manor with their heads out their open windows, screaming for help before firefighters came to their aid in high-rise ladder buckets.

"It...

Continue Reading

Already a Newsday or Optimum customer ?

Get unlimited digital access $1 for 4 Weeks

$0.99/Week Thereafter

Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox.

Sign up

By clicking Sign up, you agree to our privacy policy.

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy policy.

OK