Jury finds Hempstead man guilty of murder

advertisement | advertise on newsday

A Hempstead man was convicted Tuesday of gunning down a man in front of his home, the Nassau district attorney's office said.

Diquan McClough, 21, faces 25 years to life in prison after a jury deliberated for less than an hour and found him guilty of second-degree murder in the Dec. 8 shooting of Quavis Ford, according to District Attorney Kathleen Rice.

McClough, also convicted of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, is scheduled to be sentenced on Nov. 13, Rice said.

McClough approached Ford in front of his Hempstead apartment and fired six rounds from a 9-mm semiautomatic handgun at about 4:20 p.m., hitting the victim twice in the back and once in the leg. Ford, 20, died about nine hours later.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The gunman apparently believed that Ford had been involved in a shooting involving one of McClough's friends, prosecutors said.

"This senseless killing ended a young man's life and left his family irrevocably damaged," Rice said. "While nothing can undo the damage Mr. McClough has caused, I hope that today's verdict provides some solace to the victim's family."

McClough left New York after the shooting and was captured in Augusta, Ga., in January with the help of federal marshals and local authorities.

Ford, an office assistant, was going to be a father and had been trying to turn his life around when he was shot, his boss said.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: