The 18-year-old charged with second-degree murder in the death of a woman found strangled on a Rockville Centre footbridge is due back in court Friday, after his attorney invoked his client's right to a speedy trial.

Maxwell Sherman appeared briefly Wednesday before a judge during a felony conference held in Mineola. Sherman, who has retained Garden City attorney William Petrillo, is being held without bail at Nassau County Jail.

Sherman, of Long Beach, is charged with second-degree murder in the death of Lauren Daverin-Gresham, 18, of Lynbrook. Her partially clothed and bloodied body was found around 10 p.m. Thursday on the Mill Pond footbridge spanning eastbound Merrick Road in Rockville Centre, police said.

Residents nearby described the area as a popular late-night gathering place for teenagers.

Sherman's court appearance came as the family of the victim was burying her at Cemetery of the Holy Rood in Westbury.

Daverin-Gresham, who attended high school in Lynbrook and Malverne, had gotten married 10 months ago. She wed Kashawn Gresham in a civil ceremony. He is an airman first class stationed at the Air Force base in Bossier City, La., family friends said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

In court, Petrillo said his client is asking for a speedy trial. That means he has demanded the prosecution either present their evidence and witnesses, obtain a quick grand jury indictment or release him.

"He asked for what's known as a felony exam, which would require the prosecution to either indict him by Friday or we have an application that he be released at that point," Petrillo said after the hearing.

Sherman was led into the courtroom in handcuffs, wearing an orange jumpsuit. He showed little emotion, but gave his parents a glance on the way out.

"There are many unanswered questions about this case," Petrillo said afterward. "There are many issues that will come up as this case unfolds in the near future. There is a viable and strong defense in this case."

Sherman's parents, Wayne and Sue Sherman, arrived early in court and did not speak to reporters. The couple sat near the front of the courtroom.

At one point, Wayne Sherman bent over in his chair while his wife placed her hand on his back.