Nassau committees advance Mangano's $2.79 billion budget

Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano shown speaking during

Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano shown speaking during a press conference at the Nassau County Executive building. (Sept. 12, 2013) (Credit: Newsday/J. Conrad Williams, Jr.)

Nassau County legislative committees on Monday passed County Executive Edward Mangano's proposed $2.79 billion budget for 2014.

The budget vote passed the Rules and Finance committees, with the GOP majority pushing it forward with 4-3 party-line votes.

Presiding Officer Norma Gonsalves, (R-East Meadow), said the committee votes were "teeing up" the budget for public hearings Wednesday and Oct. 16. "That's when we will get into the meat of it."


STAY UPDATED: News alerts, newsletters | Twitter | Facebook


But Minority Leader Kevan Abrahams, (D-Freeport), called the Mangano spending plan "a highly flawed budget . . . [It] does not begin to tell us how the county executive plans to pay . . . bills."

Also Monday, the police department requested $12 million from Nassau's contingency funds to cover higher-than-projected overtime costs stemming from superstorm Sandy and the recent search for a gunman in a shootings at an East Garden City office that left one man dead and another seriously wounded.

"Employees in the . . . Police Department worked so many hours this past year on Sandy-related enforcement, and spent so much time on the response and subsequent manhunt for the workplace shooter last month, that police overtime is expected to be about $21 million over projections," First Deputy Police Commissioner Thomas Krumpter testified.

Police who canceled scheduled vacations and time off needed to then take that time off, and their duties had to be performed by others on overtime, Krumpter said. "Sometimes they needed to take time off to deal with their own storm-damaged homes."

The request passed unanimously.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Follow Newsday on social media

advertisement | advertise on newsday