Nassau County on Tuesday gave property owners three extra months to file for tax assessment reductions stemming from superstorm Sandy damage.
Mangano said the deadline will be extended from Jan. 1 to April 1. He said at a news conference in Mineola that he had directed Assessor James Davis to provide relief so property assessments reflect reductions in value from Sandy while protecting homeowners from large swings in their assessed values.
Mangano emphasized that each applicant for reduction must follow a strict damage review form to report and document structural damage.
Also, Assemb. Robert Sweeney (D-Lindenhurst) and state Sen.-elect Phil Boyle (R-Bay Shore) are proposing bills that would allow municipalities and school districts to lower valuations for properties hard hit by Sandy.
County Legis. Dave Denenberg (D-Merrick) last week held a news conference with Legis. Carrié Solages (D-Elmont) criticizing Mangano, a Republican, for not publicizing the possible assessment reductions and Jan. 1 deadline.
"I'm glad the County Executive adopted my initiative to extend this deadline and provide a form to request a new assessment," Denenberg said Tuesday.
Deputy County Executive Ed Ward countered that when Denenberg "had his news conference, the assessor was already doing what he was calling for. Today, the county executive just reaffirmed that."
The county extended the property tax exemption application deadline for 2013-14 from Dec. 31 to April 1. Nassau will publish its 2014-15 assessment roll on May 1, not April 1. The grievance deadline for assessment challenges to the 2014-15 tentative roll goes from Jan. 1 to May 1.