Holiday gifts that give back
Kathleen DiResta admits she had it easy. The Sea Cliff jewelry designer along with her husband and their 7-year-old son survived superstorm Sandy without much fuss.
They lost power for five days, but “it doesn’t compare to Long Beach and Rockaway,” she says. “We were lucky.”
She collected food and clothing at her gallery shop but wanted to do more. So she created a “Sun Circle” necklace, symbolizing a circle of friends and community, and will donate 20 percent of its sales to Island Harvest, L.I.’s largest hunger relief organization.
In Port Washington, designer Glenn Bradford felt a similar desire to make a difference. So now through Christmas, he is donating 5 percent of sales of jewelry in his shop to the Women’s Fund of Long Island for its Sandy relief efforts.
These are just two local artists who’ve found a way to make gift-giving this season have serious impact. Big corporations are getting in on the act, too.
Ikea has offered the American Red Cross $450,000 worth of donations, plus space in its Red Hook store for local shopkeepers to meet with FEMA officials to help get the neighborhood back in business. On Long Island, Ikea has donated batteries, pillows, footwear, coffee and more to local relief groups.
But it’s the lineup of plush, plucky soft toys on Ikea shelves that offers a subtle reminder — despite the blow suffered locally, there are also worthy causes serving communities outside Sandy’s reach, but just as much in need. Sales of Ikea soft toys, for instance, benefit UNICEF and Save the Children education programs in impoverished regions across the globe.
So how can you help? Check out these gifts that give back — to Long Island and beyond. -- Joseph V. Amodio, Special to Newsday
- | View all
Be the first to rate:Click to rate
More in Long Island
- Cops: 2 dead in shooting near Hofstra
- 2013 college graduations on LI
- U.S. Army generals from LI
- Hangin' in the Hamptons
- Briarcliffe College Class of 2013 graduates
- Long Island school event photos
- 33 famous LIers' favorite hometown places
- Dowling College class of 2013 graduates
- Field of Wheels 2013
- Annie Park
- Kate Spade, 75 other new stores on LI
- Maternity style: Celeb tips for moms-to-be
- What They're Wearing: UJA Spring Event
- LI notable deaths
- 10 big sales this weekend
- Cops: 2 dead in shooting near Hofstra 2013 college graduations on LI
- U.S. Army generals from LI Briarcliffe College Class of 2013 graduates
- Long Island school event photos 33 famous LIers' favorite hometown places
- Dowling College class of 2013 graduates Field of Wheels 2013
- Hometown heroes Annie Park
- LI notable deaths 100 things for kids to do on LI
- President Barack Obama Contemporary Furniture Fair highlights
- 99 places we loved on Long Island New York City parties
- See what 19 LIers won on 'Wheel of Fortune' so far Free movies in NYC!
- Recent LI mug shots Recent LI fires
- LI people on the move! Promotions, new jobs Andrew Cuomo through the years
- The Bench 5K Hot Dog Chow Down