Officials: 7 in Garden City Park hospitalized with carbon monoxide exposure
Related mediaRecent LI fires Firehouses across Long Island Firefighters from LI who have died in the line of duty
Seven people were taken to the hospital, four with "dangerously high" carbon monoxide levels in their blood, after police and fire officials responded to a call Tuesday afternoon to a Dominican restaurant in Garden City Park, police and fire officials said.
The restaurant's power had been turned off and the restaurant was functioning on a generator running in the basement, said Roger Green, chief of the Garden City Park Fire Department. "Outrageously high levels" of carbon monoxide were found in the building, he said.
Workers in the restaurant and tenants of rental apartments on the second floor complained of nausea and headaches, he said. Six people declined medical attention, he said, and seven were taken to Nassau University Medical Center.
Green said the conditions of the seven people taken to the hospital were not imminently life-threatening.
Laurie Spielholz, a proprietor of Larry's Design Center directly next door, said she called police and the fire department after seeing the generator in the common basement.
The fire marshal's office is investigating and, along with the building department, will determine if charges will be filed, Green said. The Red Cross has been notified, he said, as residents cannot spend the night in the building.