Officials: 7 treated after CO call at Roosevelt Field
Seven people at Roosevelt Field mall were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes early yesterday when propane-powered equipment being used inside a store was not properly vented, authorities said.
They were taken to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, a hospital spokeswoman said. Two were treated in a hyperbaric chamber and then admitted, she said, and five were given oxygen for about two hours before being released.
No shoppers were in the mall at the time, a mall spokesman said.
Two security guards called fire officials about 6 a.m., and Westbury firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide in the Abercrombie & Fitch store, where a construction worker had been using the equipment, the mall spokesman said.
Andrew Schmitt, a hazardous materials supervisor with the Fire Marshal's Office, said "a piece of equipment that runs on propane increased CO levels."
Schmitt said only the Abercrombie store and the service areas were affected and that the air quality had returned to normal.
Among the injured were the construction worker and the two security guards, the mall spokesman said.
Nassau County's hazardous materials team, several ambulances and fire department vehicles were in the parking lot between Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom until after 9 a.m.
Mall stores opened Thursday at their regularly scheduled times.
With Candice Norwood