Police: Woman killed by generator fumes

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Nassau police said an Oceanside woman died Monday of carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator being used in her home, bringing the total number of Sandy-related deaths on Long Island to nine.

Michelle Bracco, 44, was discovered unconscious in her Kresse Street home Monday night, police said. A portable generator was found in the attached garage, and the Oceanside Fire Department detected high levels of carbon monoxide in the house.

Police said there was no one else in the home, and someone who had come to the house and found Bracco unconscious had called police. Officials declined to identify the person.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Bracco was taken to South Nassau Communities Hospital, where she died at 11:05 p.m.

Police said she had lost electricity during the storm and was using the generator for heat and power.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: