Recent NCPD missteps
A look at some of the incidents since 2009 that have called police integrity into question.
- Jo'Anna Bird case March 2009
- Crime lab debacle 2010
- Supervisor arrested January 2010
- Gun incident in bar June 2011
- Forced groping November 2011
- Innocent woman jailed January 2012
- Ex-top cops handcuffed March 2012
After allegedly barhopping and drinking beer while on duty in January 2010, Det. Sgt. William E. Kaul, a Sixth Squad supervisor, is involved in an alleged hit-and-run in his unmarked police car. He later was arrested. The department permitted him to retire and he began collecting his pension. He is awaiting trial.
advertisement | advertise on newsday