Recent NCPD missteps
A look at some of the incidents since 2009 that have called police integrity into question.
- Jo'Anna Bird case March 2009
- Crime lab debacle 2010
- Supervisor arrested January 2010
- Gun incident in bar June 2011
- Forced groping November 2011
- Innocent woman jailed January 2012
- Ex-top cops handcuffed March 2012
Photo credit: AP
Innocent woman jailed
A judge in January rebukes police for arresting Seemona Sumasar -- a business owner and mother -- on charges she pretended to be a cop to commit robberies. She was jailed for more than six months before being exonerated. A jury had convicted a man, Jerry Ramrattan, of orchestrating the frame-up to undermine her credibility in her rape accusation against him. He also was convicted of the rape.
advertisement | advertise on newsday