Two Roosevelt men have been indicted on new charges two months after police said they used a handgun to rob a 16-year-old, the Nassau County District Attorney's office said Wednesday.
Sayquane Marshall, 24, and Andy Lafontant, 23, are charged with robbing a 16-year-old boy at 10:30 a.m. on May 2 near the corner of Rogers Place and Independence Avenue in Freeport. Nassau County acting District Attorney Madeline Singas said Lafontant flashed a handgun while Marshall stole the teen's iPhone and wallet, which held an undetermined amount of cash.
Both men were arrested in a traffic stop later that day after the victim's phone tracking app helped Freeport police determine the suspects' location after the robbery. Nassau police said at the time that a black handgun was recovered from the vehicle during the arrest, and the victim's wallet was found in Lafontant's pants pocket. Emergency Service Officers found the iPhone in a storm drain on Sunrise Highway, where it had been discarded. The suspects had unsuccessfully tried to sell the phone earlier, police said.
Marshall and Lafontant both face grand jury charges of first- and second-degree robbery; first- and second-degree criminal use of a firearm; second-, third- and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon; criminal possession of a firearm; and fourth- and fifth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, prosecutors said.
State Supreme Court Justice William Donnino continued Marshall's $70,000 bail at his arraignment on Friday and continued Lafontant's $70,000 bail at his arraignment on Wednesday. Marshall is due back in court July 16, and Lafontant is due back Aug. 20, prosecutors said. Both face a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison if convicted of the top counts.
Greg Madey, the attorney for Lafontant, said his client pleaded not guilty at arraignment Wednesday. Marshall's attorney Steven Barnwell said his client maintained his innocence and intended to fight the charges.