The Big Duck
1012 Flanders Rd., (Route 24) Flanders, NY 631-852-3377
Built in 1931 by Long Island duck farmers Martin and Jeule Maurer, the Big Duck was an eye-catching shop where the Maurer's sold their Peking Ducks to passing motorists on Riverhead's West Main Street.
In 1936, the Maurers moved the building to Route 24 in Flanders. The Big Duck is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Roadside architecture that represents the goods sold in the buidling is now known as "duck architecture" in honor of the Big Duck.. Hours:
10 a.m.- 5 p.m. Mon.-Fri. and Sun.; 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Sat., all year. Hours subject to change, call ahead.