U.S. Marshals probe Peter King ride-along
WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Marshals Service said Wednesday that it is investigating how an aide to Rep. Pete King was allowed to shoot a video in a private residence during a raid in Brooklyn on Monday.
King (R-Seaford) said the video -- which his staff posted and later removed from his official website -- was taken while he was on a "ride-along" with the New York/New Jersey Regional Fugitive Task Force as it executed warrants in raids in the Bronx and Brooklyn.
"We're investigating to determine what happened because policy restrictions prohibit non-U.S. Marshals personnel from filming inside personal residences during ride-alongs," said Dave Oney, a Marshals spokesman in New York.
He said the policy applies to all ride-alongs by officials, reporters and others to protect the privacy of the people and homes being raided.
King, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said everything he and his videographer did had the approval of officials at the raid, including U.S. Marshal Charles Dunne of the Eastern District of New York.
"This was all planned," King said, noting the task force invited him to the raids last month. "Everything we did was exactly what they suggested."
The video showed King in a Windbreaker with "police" on the back entering a walk-up after marshals broke down the door. In the house, a man was shown pinned to the floor and a woman sitting on a couch.
King posted an eight-minute version of the video and tweeted about it Tuesday. The liberal Talking Points Memo website raised questions about privacy. But King's office said the marshals requested three edits for security reasons.
King said he took down the video Wednesday afternoon at the marshals' request.