Sandy Hook students to return to classes on Thursday

Holding Image

Holding Image (Credit: amNY)

Students who survived the deadly Sandy Hook shooting will return to classes tomorrow at a makeshift school in a nearby town, officials said yesterday.

Supplies and belongings left at Sandy Hook Elementary School in the wake of the Dec. 14 shooting were brought to the new school in Monroe, and an open house is scheduled for today for families as the school's interim principal stressed a return to normalcy.

"I want to reassure you that we understand many parents may need to be near their children on their first day(s) of school and you will be welcome," Donna Page wrote in a letter to parents.

"That being said, we encourage students to take the bus to school in order to help them return to familiar routines as soon as possible," she said.

Meanwhile, a $100 million legal claim filed against the state of Connecticut over the shooting was dropped, an attorney involved in the case said on yesterday.

New Haven, Connecticut-based attorney Irving Pinsky said he dropped the claim because he was evaluating new evidence, though he didn't provide any further details as to why he dropped the claim. It was filed last week on behalf of an unidentified 6-year-old survivor of the Newtown shooting at a primary school that left 20 children and six adults dead.

Tags: NEWS , ARTICLE , AMNY , HOLD

advertisement | advertise on newsday

advertisement | advertise on newsday