Valley Stream man pleads guilty in DWI crash that killed father of three
A 25-year-old Valley Stream man on Monday pleaded guilty in connection with a drunken driving crash that killed a husband and father of three last year.
Brian P. Daly pleaded guilty to charges of assault, manslaughter, criminal possession of a controlled substance and driving while intoxicated.
In exchange, he will get a 12-year prison sentence when a judge sentences him in July.
Authorities said Daly had faced a charge of second-degree murder, which could have meant serving up to life in prison if a jury had found him guilty.
Police have said Daly was drunk when he drove through a red light in Franklin Square in February 2013, slamming into the minivan that Christopher DeCrescito, 46, of Franklin Square, was driving home.
Before the deadly crash, the victim was finishing the last part of his commute home from his job as head of regulatory reporting for financial firm UBS in Weehawken, N.J.
Earlier that month, he and his wife, Denise DeCrescito, had celebrated their 17th wedding anniversary.
As part of his plea Monday, Daly admitted to his crimes in court.
"I went to a bar and drank about five drinks," he told Nassau County Judge Angelo Delligatti. "On the way home from the bar, I got into an accident."
After questions from Delligatti, Daly also admitted to being drunk, to running at least one red light and hitting another vehicle, and to possessing cocaine at the time of the crash.
"No doubts, sir," Daly answered, when Delligatti asked if he wanted to plead guilty.
Assistant District Attorney Michael Bushwack told the judge that the victim's widow couldn't be in court because of a medical condition. But he said she agreed to terms of the plea deal.
Supporters of both DeCrescito and Daly packed a Mineola courtroom during Monday's hearing.
"I don't think he's the least bit remorseful for what he's done," the victim's father, Vincent DeCrescito, said later of Daly. "He's taken the life of a really good man."
Family friend Rose DeVito said the victim's widow couldn't be in court because she was hospitalized after a flare-up of multiple sclerosis symptoms due to stress, but had started a foundation in her husband's honor.
The judge set sentencing for July 18, when Denise DeCrescito does plan to address the court, according to a prosecutor.
Defense lawyer Bruce Barket said he had no comment on Monday's plea, but confirmed his client -- a union construction worker -- was free on a half-million bond and had to stay confined to his home with exceptions that include attending church services.
In a prepared statement, Nassau District Attorney Kathleen Rice said the devastation of the victim's family resulted from "the depraved actions of one man and his wildly reckless driving," and that the case was a reminder that "this kind of senseless carnage" wouldn't be tolerated in the county..