Worker burned in shed fire behind Zorn's

Firefighters from a number of fire departments respond

Firefighters from a number of fire departments respond to a large garage fire behind the Zorn's on Hempstead Turnpike in Bethpage. (May 11,2012) Photo Credit: Kevin Imm

advertisement | advertise on newsday

A worker was burned Friday by a fire in a shed behind Zorn's restaurant on Hempstead Turnpike in Bethpage, fire officials said.

The fire broke out about 10:30 a.m. in a rented wooden shed where landscapers stored their vehicles and equipment, said John Fitzwilliam, public information officer for the Bethpage Fire Department.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The fire, controlled after about 20 minutes, started when a worker tried to take a can of gasoline off a shelf, Fitzwilliam said. The can hit a heating lamp, setting the shed ablaze and causing injuries to the arms and face of the unidentified worker.

The worker was treated at nearby St. Joseph Hospital and transferred to the burn unit at Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, Fitzwilliam said.

The Bethpage Fire Department used 10 pieces of apparatus and about 50 firefighters, and fire department units from Farmingdale, South Farmingdale, North Massapequa, Levittown, Plainview and Hicksville also helped fight the blaze, Fitzwilliam said.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

Comments now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: