News, views and commentary on Long Island, state and national politics
BloggersDan Janison Rick Brand Tom Brune Robert Brodsky Paul LaRocco Yancey Roy Celeste Hadrick
Payments to Nassau County vendors now online
One week after posting all Nassau County contracts for 2013 online, county Comptroller George Maragos has created a new database that allows residents to search through more than $700 million in recent payments to vendors.
The new tool, which will be updated weekly, includes more than 50,000 county payments from Jan. 1, 2013, through Jan. 23, 2014, that exceed $1,000.
The database is searchable and sortable and includes the name of the vendor, the claim amount and the date it was posted.
“The list of payments to vendors will serve as a guide to anyone who has a question or a concern of fraud, waste, or abuse of county funds,” Maragos said.
Previously, the information would only be available after filing a Freedom of Information Law request.
The only claims that have not yet been posted, the comptroller’s office said, are those that were submitted by Nassau District Attorney Kathleen Rice’s office.
Maragos said Rice requested that her office be given the opportunity to review the claims -- which may contain confidential information or which could pose a security threat if the information were released -- before making the data public.
A link to the database can be found on the comptroller’s county website or directly at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuYQeDYfbpuYdHJTN1ZiSkFfd1B4ZjloaE9TSDZXM0E&usp=drive_web#gid=0.