Spin Cycle

News, views and commentary on Long Island, state and national politics.

The Mangano administration has agreed to delay hearings on some of the Assessment Review Commission members in Nassau County who say they were improperly fired on Jan. 14th.


The hearings, requested by five of the six dismissed commissioners, had been scheduled for Tuesday evening, but were put off after an attorney for three of the five got a court order forcing a delay.


The county then agreed to put off the hearing for all five until Friday, according to county spokesman Michael Martino.

advertisement | advertise on newsday


County Executive Edward Mangano said he intends to replace the six — appointed in the final days of Thomas Suozzi’s administration -- with his own appointees, who will be paid less and will be in tune with his priorities.


Those terminated included two full-time commissioners, who earned $130,000: Dermot Kelly and Kevin O'Donnell, and four part-timers who earned between $20,000 and $75,000.


Attorney Kenneth Gartner said Tuesday he got a temporary restraining order forcing the delay from Justice Roy Mahon of state Supreme Court in Mineola.