News, views and commentary on Long Island, state and national politics.
Clearly seeking to counter some of the vocal labor union opposition to a proposed state education tax credit bill, supporters of the measure are touting union support of their own, including a number of law enforcement and other uniformed unions from New York City, Nassau and Suffolk. The bill is still under consideration as the Albany legislative session grinds on.
Thomas Mungeer from the NYS Troopers PBA said: "This legislation is important to my members who live across the entire state of New York. Our newly created scholarship fund is entirely dependent on contributions, anything we can do to encourage and reward people for participating in this great cause can help our members directly."
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo called for $150 million worth of tax credits in all. Families with incomes below $60,000 would receive $500 tax credits to offset private school tuition. Donors who give as much as $1 million to fund scholarships would be rewarded by the government with tax credits of up to 75 percent of the contribution. Teachers who buy classroom supplies out of pocket could get tax credits of as much as $200.
The list of supporters as released by the group Invest in Education:
- Enterprise Assoc. of Steamfitters, UA Local 638 (L.I. & NYC)
- Federation of Catholic Teachers, OPEIU Local 153 AFL-CIO (NYC)
- Union of Operating Engineers, Local 30, AFL-CIO (Jamaica)
- Iron Workers Local 361, NYC, Intl. Assoc. of Bridge Structural, Ornamental, & Reinforcing Ironworkers, AFL-CIO
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority Police Benevolent Assoc.
- Nassau County Police Benevolent Association
- Nassau County Police Department Detectives Association
- NYC Captains Endowment Association
- NYC Deputy Sheriffs Association
- NYC Detective Investigators Assoc., Dist. Attorney's Office
- NYC Detectives Endowment Association
- NYC Patrolmen's Benevolent Association
- NYS Association of Police Benevolent Associations
- NYS Correctional Officers & Police Benevolent Association
- NYS Court Officers Association
- NYS Fraternal Order of Police
- NYS Professional Fire Fighters Association
- NYS Public Employee Conference
- NYS Supreme Court Officers Association, ILA, AFL-CIO
- NYS Troopers PBA
- Plumbers & Steamfitters, UA Local 267 (Central NY)
- Plumbers of Long Island, UA Local 200
- Plumbers of New York City, UA Local 1
- Police Conference of New York
- Sergeants Benevolent Association, NYPD
- Suffolk Detectives Association
- Uniformed EMTs, Paramedics & Fire Inspectors FDNY, Local 2507, DC 37, AFSCME, AFL-CIO
- Uniformed Fire Officers Assoc., IFAA Local 854 (NYC), AFL-CIO
- Uniformed Firefighters Assoc. of Greater NY, Local 94, IFAA AFL-CIO
- Uniformed Sanitationmen's Association, Local 831 (NYC), International Brotherhood of Teamsters