News, views and commentary on Long Island, state and national politics.
The latest revelations regarding Anthony Weiner, aka Carlos Danger, aka Huma's Husband, aka Former Ineffective Congressman, give rise to five quick political lessons to bear in mind as his self-centered adolescent reality show grinds on.
1. Nobody changes behavior between ages 46 and 48 just because he has a few million dollars in a campaign account that he has to use, or else lose, under city finance rules.
2. Wife Abedin sees wisdom in mentor Hillary Clinton's old step of waiting for the husband to run his course before running for office herself — which is what she seems to want to do.
But this enabling spouse may wish to invest in better speechwriters. Example: The phrase "between us and our marriage" makes no sense at all.
3. As stated in this space at the outset, Weiner has elevated the status of his competition just by being in the race.
4. Saying you went to a clinic in Texas to get a referral for mental health services and then went into therapy doesn't mean you're ready to take over a huge elected job, the likes of which you've never had before.
5. There's probably even more of this idiocy to look forward to. He's denied steroid use, but does that carry any credibility?