News, views and commentary on Long Island, state and national politics.
A fire and a gas leak sparked temporary evacuations at polling sites Tuesday morning in Nassau County, according to Republican Election Commissioner Louis Savinetti.
A small fire at Lindell Elementary School in Long Beach forced an evacuation of less than an hour, he said. The cause was uncertain, but the fire was quickly controlled.
A gas leak at the Childs School in Floral Park also forced voters and workers to leave for less than an hour, he said.