Stony Brook University's Reality Deck
Stony Brook University's newest computer science feat is called The Reality Deck, a $2 million virtual reality theater that is akin to the fictional Holodeck from "Star Trek," where Starship Enterprise officers could find themselves in another place and time.
Stony Brook University scientists believe their technology will be far-reaching and help better detect cancers, build antibiotics, predict climate changes and map the universe.
The 627-square-foot room's four walls are tiled floor-to-ceiling with 416 high-resolution flat-screen monitors, allowing scientists, engineers and physicians to visualize huge amounts of data unlike anything they've been able to do before, its Stony Brook creators said.
- | View all
User rating:(1) Click to rate
More in Long Island
- LI notable deaths
- Searching for a short sale on LI?
- 10 Roosevelt Field dining options
- Former NCPD Commissioner Thomas Dale
- Chadwicks American Chophouse & Bar
- 100 things every kid should do on LI
- LI people on the move! Promotions, new jobs
- Joe Capobianco
- Ray Catapano
- Long Island and New York City's top photos
- Your Instagram, Twitter snow photos
- Quartermoon is rescued from pool
- LI notable deaths 10 Roosevelt Field dining options
- Former NCPD Commissioner Thomas Dale 100 things every kid should do on LI
- LI people on the move! Promotions, new jobs Joe Capobianco
- Ray Catapano Long Island and New York City's top photos
- Your Instagram, Twitter snow photos Gracie Mansion
- Quartermoon is rescued from pool Who's ringing stock exchanges' bells?
- Erik Callender's reptiles Snow falls across LI
- Students create recycled-trash artwork Hewlett HS seniors win Siemens Competition
- Snow hits LI: 2013 Yaphank church gutted by fire
- LI Holiday Benefit Pageant Billy Joel now and then
- New York City parties Gingerbread house contest
- Meet Long Island's pageant queens Places we loved on Long Island