Accidental fire ravages St. James home

A fire that ravaged a St. James home on Damin Circle early Monday was declared accidental by Suffolk County's Arson Squad. All residents of the home were out safely when first responders arrived. Videojournalist: Jeff DiLavore (Feb. 4, 2013)

A fire that ravaged a St. James home early Monday was accidental, Suffolk County's Arson Squad said.

Police and fire officials responded to a call for a fire on Damin Circle at 1:06 a.m., a police spokeswoman said.

All residents of the home were out safely when police and fire arrived, the spokeswoman said.


PHOTOS: Recent fires on Long Island
ALERTS: Get newsletters and alerts


She said the fire, which fully engulfed the home, most likely started in the garage. The Arson Squad has determined that the fire was "accidental and noncriminal," she said.

The spokeswoman had no more details. Calls to the Smithtown Fire Department were not immediately returned.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Follow Newsday on social media

advertisement | advertise on newsday