Autopsy: Carbon monoxide fumes killed Huntington Station restaurant manager

Left: Legal Sea Foods in the Shops at

Left: Legal Sea Foods in the Shops at Walt Whitman mall is closed Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014, for an investigation into why and how the manager Steve Nelson, 55, died and 27 people were sickened by carbon monoxide Saturday evening. Photo Credit: James Carbone / LinkedIn

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The Suffolk medical examiner's office has ruled that carbon monoxide poisoning killed the manager of a Huntington Station Legal Sea Foods restaurant Saturday after the odorless gas leaked from a basement pipe, Suffolk police said Tuesday.

No other details of the autopsy for manager Steven Nelson, 55, of Copiague, were released, police said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Nelson was discovered unconscious in the basement of the eatery, locked in a bathroom, according to Legal Sea Foods president and CEO Roger Berkowitz. Dozens of others were treated at local hospitals.

A faulty flue pipe attached to the heating system was the cause of the carbon monoxide leak, both police and Huntington Town officials have said.

Meanwhile, state, county and local lawmakers are calling for the passage of legislation requiring carbon monoxide detectors in commercial buildings. Currently there's no such requirement in state law.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

Comments now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: