Designer prom dresses for less
Today’s prom girls are looking to the red carpet for inspiration more than ever — much to their parents’ dismay. Take A-list ingredients like jewels, organza and lace, and tie them all together with a designer label, and what do you get? A tab that will rival that first semester college tuition bill.
Some high-end designers — among them Marchesa’s Georgina Chapman, Vera Wang, Monique Lhuillier — offer evening collections that take some of the sting out of that price tag.
“Prom in my mind is about having fun,” says Chapman, who designed Pearl, a collection of formal looks for J.C. Penney costing from about $70 to $180. “If a girl is looking for a more formal option, we offer floor-length gowns that are feminine and whimsical,” says Chapman. “For a more fun and flirty look, we have a range of cocktail dresses where we’ve added special details.”
Though Marchesa gowns can go for upward of $4,000, Chapman says Pearl doesn’t sacrifice quality or style. “I approach designing for both Marchesa and Pearl with the same level of respect and the same intention: to help women look and feel beautiful,” she says. “I pay close attention to detail to make sure that both collections embody my signature style and design sensibility.”
And the same is evident in other designers’ creations — from the wistful floral appliqués in a White by Vera Wang tulle dress ($198) to the stunning silhouette of a black lace and chiffon floor-length ML Monique Lhuillier gown ($298).
Here, some of our picks that are sure to turn high school girls into Hollywood head-turners, if only for a night. -- By Nina Ruggiero
More in Long Island
- LI car accidents Dropping LBs: LIers before and after weight-loss stories
- 42 signs you're from Nassau Tribeca Film Festival
- 78 luminaries remember life on Long Island LI people on the move! Promotions, new jobs
- Manhasset vs. Notre Dame (Md.) Horseless eCarriage at NY Auto Show
- New York City parties 101 new stores on LI
- Long Island and New York City's top photos Recent LI mug shots
- This week's Class AA baseball team rankings Long Island on 'The Ultimate Fighter'
- Buried on Long Island Suffolk Boys Basketball Awards Dinner
- Suffolks Wrestling Awards Dinner Nassau Wrestling Coaches Awards Dinner
- LI notable deaths Mourners pay respects to fallen NYPD officer
- Extreme Easter bonnets on Long Island, NYC Long Island rich cribs
- Way to Go kids