Central Islip man faces murder charge in Matthew Gilmore shooting death

Matthew Gilmore, of Central Islip. (May 30, 2012)

Matthew Gilmore, of Central Islip. (May 30, 2012) Photo Credit: Handout

advertisement | advertise on newsday

A 22-year-old man was charged Thursday with the shooting death of a Central Islip resident who was among three victims gunned down in the hamlet in the span of less than two days late last month.

Raesean N. Allen of Central Islip was arraigned on a second-degree murder charge in the May 28 shooting death of Matthew Gilmore, 25 -- the final victim in the spate of killings that began on the night of May 26.

No one has been charged in the shooting deaths of Central Islip residents Derrick Mayes and Kennan Russell, both 21. Law enforcement sources said the killing of Gilmore is not connected to the shootings of Mayes and Russell, which sources suspect may have been committed by MS-13 gang members.

Allen, who has pleaded guilty previously to charges of criminal contempt, resisting arrest, marijuana possession and larceny, confessed to robbing Gilmore after he had been shot several times inside his Clayton Street residence, according to a criminal complaint.

He told police after someone else "shot the victim several times, I took some of the victim's marijuana and ran out the front door," the complaint stated.

At his arraignment in First District Court in Central Islip, Allen was ordered held without bail before Judge Paul M. Hensley. His attorney, Michael J. Brown, did not request bail. Brown said Allen did not shoot Gilmore, but acknowledged his client was present at the killing.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

"His involvement is very limited," said Brown after the arraignment. "It's quite clear that he's not involved in the actual action."

Prosecutor Raphael Pearl told the judge Allen has an "extensive criminal history" and is a flight risk because he had in the past failed to appear at court hearings. Pearl also said Allen "attempted to change his cellphone immediately" after Gilmore's slaying.

Allen is due back in court July 11. Suffolk police would not release any information about Allen's arrest.

Gilmore's family said they were upset that police had not told them of the Central Islip man's arrest and were unaware of the arraignment. Gilmore's uncle said the family found out about the arrest on a television news broadcast.

"I was like, 'Wow, hallelujah,' " said Henry Tucker, 56 when asked his reaction to hearing someone was in custody. "The police should have told us something first -- before it got on the news." Tucker said Gilmore's family would have attended the arraignment.

"I would have been there with bells on," Tucker said. "I wanted to see his face and look him down. Matthew was a good kid. He didn't deserve to die like that."

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!


Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: