Five adults and two children were hospitalized after a carbon-monoxide scare at an adult community apartment complex in Farmingdale late Thursday night, police said.
Three of the five adults, as well as the children, were taken to St. Joseph Hospital in Bethpage, while the other two adults were transported to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, Suffolk County police said. All had non-life-threatening symptoms.
Police said the incident at Farmingdale Villas on Genova Court in East Farmingdale was reported in a 911 call at 11:11 p.m. Police and volunteers from the East Farmingdale Fire Department responded to the scene and, police said, evacuated "several units" in the complex. Police could not immediately say how many apartments were evacuated.
After an investigation, police said it was determined that a heating unit had malfunctioned. Firefighters vented all the affected apartments.