Cops: Driver ejected in crash, hit by second vehicle, dies in East Northport

Suffolk police are searching for a hit-and-run driver who struck a man who had been ejected from his sport utility vehicle in a crash on May 1, 2014 in East Northport. Police said the driver of a Ford Explorer was ejected when the SUV struck a tree and a second vehicle -- believed to be a light-colored sedan -- hit the victim, who was in the road, then fled without stopping. (Credit: James Carbone)

An East Northport man was arrested after he left the scene of a crash that killed a 20-year-old man Thursday, police said.

Alexander Zydel died Thursday morning after police said his sport utility vehicle struck a tree in East Northport, ejecting Zydel -- who then was hit by a motorist, identified as 24-year-old Ryan Bales, who drove away, Suffolk police said. Bales turned himself in to police later Thursday, police said.

Zydel, of East Northport, was pronounced dead after being taken to Huntington Hospital after the 12:55 a.m. crash on Soundview Avenue near Bellecrest Avenue.

Photos: Recent car accidents on LI
Live maps: Accidents, traffic and LIRR status | Get news alerts
Data: Most dangerous local roads

Police said Zydel was driving west on Soundview Avenue when his 2003 Ford Explorer struck the tree, ejecting him onto the road.

He was lying on the road when he was struck by a light-colored sedan, said Sgt. James Madden of the Vehicular Crime Unit.

It did not appear Zydel had his seat belt on, Madden said.

Zydel's family declined to comment.

The cause of the crash was not clear, but earlier Thursday, detectives were looking for witnesses to the crash that happened in the dark during pouring rain.

Residents living nearby heard the crash and at least one saw a light-colored sedan leave the area but not at a high rate of speed, Madden said.

Detectives were also trying to download video surveillance from the area, hoping to get a break, he said: "We went to every single house looking for cameras."

Bales, of 41 Gildare Dr., was charged with leaving the scene of a fatal incident. He is being held overnight at the Second Precinct and is scheduled to be arraigned Friday at First District Court in Central Islip.

With Candice Ruud

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Follow Newsday on social media

advertisement | advertise on newsday