Cops: Woman burned after filling generator
GalleriesRecent LI fires Firehouses across Long Island Firefighters from Long Island who have died in the line of duty
The Elder Drive resident, 40, had lost power to her home and had gone outside shortly before 5 a.m. to refill a generator, police said. Gasoline splashed on the outside of the gas can, as well as on her clothing, police said.
"The woman went inside to clean up when gasoline vapors emanating from the can were ignited by a nearby candle," a police report said. The woman's clothes caught fire and she suffered burns to her arms and back, police said. Flames also spread to her house.
PHOTOS: LI damage | Then and now | Aerial views
VIDEOS: Recovery still in progress | Desperate for buyout
DATABASES: Federal aid to victims | Storm damage | Infrastructure proposals | LI storm damage
MORE: Year after Sandy interactive | Complete coverage
The Commack Volunteer Ambulance Corp. took her to Stony Brook Hospital, where she was admitted with injuries that were not considered life-threatening.
The Commack Fire Department put out the fire, and arson detectives investigated the incident and determined the cause to be accidental. Police did not know the extent of the damage the fire caused to the house.
-- Joseph Mallia