A fire started at a Coram auto repair shop Wednesday afternoon when an employee dropped a light on the gas he was draining from a car, Suffolk police said.

The drop light broke, igniting a fire about 12:30 p.m. at Dan's Champion Automotive, 414 Middle Country Rd., police said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The employee was taken to the hospital to be treated for minor burns, police said.

The westbound roadway, also known as Route 25, was closed at Route 112 and reopened shortly before 4 p.m., police said.

No other details were immediately available.