The estate of Ecuadorean immigrant Marcelo Lucero, who died after several teenagers attacked him on a Patchogue street in November 2008, is suing the youths who participated in the attack and their parents, according to a civil complaint filed in state Supreme Court in Suffolk County.
Kevin Faga, of the Faga Savino law firm in White Plains, who initially filed a notice shortly after the attack in 2008, said he filed the complaint about two weeks ago.
"This isn't about trying to get insurance money or anything else," Faga said. "This is about holding the individual teenage defendants and their parents responsible for what they did."
All the defendants had "a tendency toward violence" and their parents did nothing about it, said Faga, who said he represents the Lucero estate in the wrongful death lawsuit.
"Parents have to bear responsibility for the children that they raise," Faga said.
Also charged along with Conroy were Anthony Hartford, Jordan Dasch, Nicholas Hausch, and Kevin Shea, all 17-year-olds of Medford; and Christopher Overton, 16, and Jose Pacheco, 17, both of East Patchogue. At the time of their arrest, prosecutors said they admitted to regularly attacking Hispanics for fun.
The six other teens have pleaded guilty to gang assault and are awaiting sentencing.
Criminal defense attorneys for the defendants said they were aware that the lawsuit naming their clients and their parents had been filed in recent months but said they weren't familiar with details of the litigation.
Robert Conroy, Jeffrey's father, said he was unaware of the lawsuit and hadn't been served with any legal documents. Conroy's criminal attorney, William Keahon, said he had no comment.
Court records state that the Rockville Centre law firm of Jacobson & Schwartz had represented the defendants. Managing partner Gary R. Schwartz declined to comment on the lawsuit Saturday.