A Commack firefighter revived a man from an apparent heroin overdose Saturday in a Ruby Tuesday restaurant, officials said.
At about 3:30 p.m., emergency responder Roberto DiBono saw a 20-year-old man lying “unresponsive” on the bathroom floor of the restaurant at 6330 Jericho Turnpike.
A used needle lay beside the man as his girlfriend attempted to give him CPR, according to DiBono, 48, of East Northport.DataNarcotic prescriptions on LIMore storiesHeroin on Long Island
“His eyes were rolled up inside his head and he had no pulse,” DiBono said.
DiBono, who had recently attended a class to on how to use the heroin antidote Narcan, administered the drug to the man, and within seconds “he was sitting up like nothing happened,” he said.
The man was then treated by members of the Commack Volunteer Ambulance Corps, DiBono said.
“Today reflects yet another incident where your community volunteers go above and beyond to help a stranger,” the department wrote on its Facebook page Saturday.