Firefighters rescue dog from S. Huntington fire

Volunteers from the Huntington Manor Fire Department rescued

Volunteers from the Huntington Manor Fire Department rescued a dog from a house fire in South Huntington, officials said. (March 21, 2013) (Credit: Alex VanSantvoord)

Volunteers from the Huntington Manor Fire Department rescued a dog from a house fire Thursday night in South Huntington, containing the fire to the kitchen area, officials said.

Fire officials said no one in the home was injured. The fire at the house on Deepdale Drive was reported at 8:48 p.m. Firefighters from Huntington Manor, Huntington and Melville responded to the scene, as did a crew from the Huntington Community First Aid Squad, officials said.

Fire officials said what responders found was "a smoky kitchen fire" that was later determined to be accidental.


PHOTOS: Recent fires on Long Island
ALERTS: Get newsletters and alerts


Though the occupants fled the home, firefighters learned that a dog was trapped in the house, and firefighter Scott Rubcewich found it in an upstairs bedroom, officials said -- rescuing the dog, a male mixed breed, and carrying it out to the front lawn.

The dog suffered minor neck burns and smoke inhalation, fire officials said, so crews used a pet mask to give him oxygen while out on the lawn.

The dog was then taken to the New York Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center on Route 110 in Farmingdale where he was in stable condition Friday morning.

In all, fire officials said 45 firefighters and six trucks responded and had the fire under control in about 15 minutes, under the command of Chief Fred Steenson Jr.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

advertisement | advertise on newsday