Islip Town Hall was evacuated briefly Monday afternoon after employees reported smelling gas, town officials said.
Islip Deputy Supervisor Trish Bergin Weichbrodt said a volunteer worker entered her office at Town Hall about 2:45 p.m. and said he smelled a gas odor in the hallway.
Bergin Weichbrodt alerted the Islip Fire Department, which responded to the scene, and Supervisor Tom Croci's office. Town Hall was evacuated minutes later, she said.
Fire officials checked the building with electronic monitors, but found no gas leak, said Bergin Weichbrodt, and employees re-entered the building about 3 p.m.