Hospital: 4 from Copiague treated in hyperbaric chamber

Five Copiague residents who were taken to the hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday morning "are expected to make a full recovery," police said. Videojournalist: Paul Mazza (Jan. 29, 2013)

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Two teenage girls and two men taken from a Copiague house with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday were admitted to Nassau University Medical Center for treatment in a hyperbaric chamber, a hospital spokeswoman said.

A fifth person, identified by police only as a 41-year-old woman, was treated at the hospital and later released.

A Suffolk County police spokeswoman said all five victims discovered inside the home on Deauville Boulevard early Tuesday were "expected to make a full recovery."

Police identified the victims as a 58-year-old man, a 53-year-old man, a 41-year-old woman and two girls ages 15 and 16.

The incident was reported at about 6:30 a.m. -- and a rescue team from the Copiague Fire Department was dispatched to the scene at 6:38 a.m., police said. Responders found one of the men "semiconscious," and the other four victims all were conscious. The identities of the victims were not released.

Four of the five victims were treated in a hyperbaric chamber, which is used to deliver hyperbaric oxygen therapy to promote healing of victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Town of Babylon fire marshal and fire investigators are looking at a faulty furnace vent as the possible cause for the incident, police said.

The best of Newsday every day in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

Comments now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: